Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Real PaaS: CloudFoundry

During the last few years in Software Development, I have found myself doing very repetitive tasks regarding deployment of applications. Among them, these are:
  • Provisioning of Hardware (or VM)
  • Install Application Runtime (Java, Rails, Node, etc)
  • Deploying of Binaries (War file, Processes, etc)
  • Load Balancer Configuration
  • Security Configuration (SSL, Documents, etc)
  • Ensure Service Connectivity to external systems (databases, enterprise logs, auditing, etc)
  • Update Firewall policies and documentation.
I have scripted most of these in many ways (particularly using Bash,  Puppet, Monit, etc). Most of these are not only done by me, but also prevent me from doing actual real work (developing solutions). If you find yourself in this situation, I'd like to introduce you to CloudFoundry, a PaaS project I have been following for some time. I'll plan on adding more entries on these concepts soon so that I can try to document my learning about this great platform.

No comments: